This letter has been sent to all EU leaders and heads of state on 16 July 2020.
You must stop pretending that we can solve the climate- and ecological crisis without treating it as a crisis.
There are our demands of this open letter:
These are some first steps, essential to our chance of avoiding a climate- and ecological disaster
- Effective immediately, halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.
- EU member states must advocate to make ecocide an international crime at the International Criminal Court.
- Include total emissions in all figures and targets, including consumption index, international aviation and shipping.
- Starting today – establish annual, binding carbon budgets based on the current best available science and the IPCC’s budget which gives us a 66% chance of limiting the global temperature rise to below 1.5 °C. They need to include the global aspect of equity, tipping points and feedback loops and shouldn’t depend on assumptions of possible future negative emissions technologies.
- Safeguard and protect democracy.
- Design climate policies that protect workers and the most vulnerable and reduce all forms of inequality: economic, racial and gender.
- Treat the climate- and ecological emergency like an emergency. Les mer «OPEN LETTER AND DEMANDS TO EU AND GLOBAL LEADERS»